Monday, February 20, 2012

King Cake Anyone?

So my latest adventure, which took place this evening, was making a King Cake for Mardi Gras tomorrow. I am not from New Orleans (or really anywhere near there), so I have NEVER made a King Cake in my life. Now, don't get me wrong...I know to a small extent what Mardi Gras is (I don't live in a hole), but we never really celebrated it at our house and, therefore, I had never made a King Cake...until tonight.



I thought making this cake would be an adventure to blog. I enjoy cooking and I thought it would be fun to "celebrate" Mardi Gras for a change. So in the style of these great blog writers that showcase their pictures, I thought I would do the same. I laid out a sampling of the things I was going to use and staged them so it would make this great picture. Assuming this was going to be no biggie (ha!) I assumed I would just take pictures throughout the process. So you can see my lovely staged picture below:



But you can see that the next picture below is what my kitchen ACTUALLY looked like during this process, so the whole cutesy picture thing went out the window as I was struggling to make something edible and keep it from being a COMPLETE disaster!!





And of course, you had to let the dough rise and it said to put it in a warm spot. But where do you find a truly warm spot in KY in February, so I put it in the laundry room with a heated fan and the dryer on (I thought it was pretty clever, but a bit ridiculous)




But in the end, I pulled this beauty out of the oven and was pretty impressed considering I wasn't sure if I had done ANY of this correctly. (It's not glamourous, but it's mine!)



Then I assembled the decorating items (colored icings and sugars) that I made and went to town!




But all in all, it was a fun, yet tiring experience and I'm not sure I would do it again soon. But I guess I have another year to recuperate and practice my skills before Mardi Gras comes again!!

On the other hand, my house does smell pretty scrumptious with that cake fresh out of the oven!!


On to the next adventure...

























1 comment:

  1. Where's the picture of the finished cake? I can almost smell it from here...YUM!

    ReplyDelete